Saturday, March 2, 2013

Don't Judge A Status by What You Want It To Say



The other day I made a comment on Facebook about how I was sick of seeing Marijuana called "harmless" on the internet. I was frustrated that because of the push towards legalization, my children are constantly seeing misinformation and propaganda regarding a drug with potentially harmful side effects. I was met, as Facebook lovingly will greet all posts more controversial than a smiling puppy, with both "thank you's" and malicious attacks. I never stated my opinion about using marijuana or the legalization of the drug. I, in fact, clearly stated that I had many good friends who used marijuana, both for medicinal and recreational use. Beyond that, my father is a licensed grower and I, personally, have completed the paperwork for patients to obtain medical marijuana. I have used it and that, is how I discovered I have a severe allergy to it.

My point though, was this, this drug has definite psychological, cardiac and pulmonary affects. The fact that the amount of THC can vary so immensely and is poorly regulated, can create major discrepancies in use. There are risks. There are both psychological and physiological risks to marijuana use. These side effects or potential for allergy need to be acknowledged and recognizable.

This was not a debate on whether marijuana is safer than cigarettes or beer. This was not a debate of whether your husband with cancer should be made to suffer. This was not a debate on how major pharmaceuticals have destroyed the market for safe drugs. Or a debate whether marijuana is even a drug. This was not an exploration into the possibility that there could be healthy uses of marijuana.This was not a debate on whether, you, as a grown adult, should be allowed to smoke a joint with your girlfriends on a Saturday night. This was me, standing up, saying I will not tell my children something is harmless when it is not harmless. 



The internet has created a world where the misinformed come armed with memes, cheap one liners and reactionary tactics. It is the problem we come across when facing any political discussion these days, whether it be gun control, drug use, equal rights, economic policy or foreign affairs. We scream foul politics and beg for bi-partisanship, then turn our computers on and "share" one-sided misinformation. There is no room for moderate discussion. All the while, our CHILDREN are watching, and learning how to resolve conflicts with sarcasm and greet debate with misinformation.

It is irritating that we can have access to so much information and come armed with so little.





No comments:

Post a Comment